Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Marrakech is very Hot

Marrakech is Very Hot, I don’t really know the temperature and I rather not know. We can go out early morning and late at night. It is almost impossible to go out between noon and about 8 pm at night.

Marrakech is a big city with large boulevards. Architecture is very interesting, many beautiful buildings. The traffic is very busy and it is a challenge every day we have to cross the street, even at the intersection with lights. There are lots of coffee shops, restaurants and parks. City is relatively clean compared to other cities, the municipally here puts a lot of effort to keep streets and parks clean.
Photobucket
There are lots of constructions going on, it seems that the whole city is under renovation and constructions, it would be interesting to see this city in a couple of years.

We woke up early and headed to the Jemma-El-Fna which is the main plaza in Marrakech. We walked all the way from our place to he medina, about an hour walk. We are ok walking, we just find it difficult to cross any street because here traffic doesn’t have any rules; Especially the motorcycles never stop even at the red light.

Jemma-El-Fna is a big place surrounded by coffee shops, restaurants, hotels.
Photobucket
Right in the middle of the plaza there are many orange juicer stands and dry fruit stands and as soon as someone walks by all vendors start to wave and ask to go to their stand for the juice or fruit.
Photobucket
A glass of orange juice is only 3 Dirham, a glass of grapefruit juice is 10 dirham.
The juice is very good, fresh, we will have lots of orange juices.
Photobucket
After coffee and people watching (there are lots of foreigners) we decided to go to the medina. Wow!!! tons of stuff, everything one can imagine, clothing, jewelry, shoes, bags, carpets……..
Photobucket
I like to look around but as soon as I stop to look I am approached and Invited in the store. I am not used and I don’t like the pressure, this makes me uncomfortable and usually I pull away right away. Also by now we have been in Morocco long enough to know that if someone invited you in the store for tea and to look, is because they want us to buy something.

Finally I found a store that had clothes with price tags and I decided to buy some Moroccan traditional clothes, mostly because I was very hot.

I bought pants (they called pantalon climatise I guess just because the pants are very large and they allow air circulation) and a blouse. I paid 10 Euros for both, not a bad price considering that I have done very little negotiation. BTW – Mark and I hate bargaining, we always like to buy stuff that have a price tag.

This is my Moroccan outfit.
Photobucket

No comments: