Sunday, August 31, 2008

Turkey - Istanbul

Every morning as soon as I get up I need coffee. At the hostel breakfast is included, so the good news - I could have coffee right away. But the bad news – coffee is very bad, it is always instant coffee, Yuk :) I t is bad but I still drink a cup, I just think that is my medicine for the day, coffee is my addiction….

After breakfast (always white bread, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggs, jam and bad coffee) I head down the street to Starbucks, yes there is a Starbucks, actually quite a few in Istanbul, I am happy! Coffee tastes almost as good as in Vancouver. Coffee is expensive around 4 dollars for a regular tall coffee. Talking about prices Istanbul is a fairly expensive place, but again I had good kebabs for 5 dollars, beer is also 5 dollars. Dark Turkish beer is very good, food is everywhere and it is good.

Saturday and Sunday I visited Istanbul as much as I could:
Grand Bazaar, amazing place, many wonderful things, it was very hard not to buy anything, I found it much nicer that Moroccan medians , even though I have to admit that it is different

Galata Bridge

Istiklal Caddesi – Commercial Street

Taskim square

Sunday night I met my tour leader and fellow travelers. Tour leader is Chloe a young Australian girl; my fellow travelers, a Canadian couple from Nelson BC, an Australian couple and a single Australian man. They all seem very nice.

The group will leave tomorrow morning; I will stay in Istanbul for an extra day to get the visa and join the group on Tuesday.

No comments: