Thursday, August 28, 2008

Turkey - Istanbul

I arrived in Istanbul after 24 hours train ride from Bucharest. I changed my travel plans so many times, not sure where to go next…. I was never interested to visit Turkey but being in Romania I figured that I am so close to Turkey maybe it would be a good idea to actually visit Turkey. Last minute decision I booked an adventure tour for 19 days Turkey and Syria.

I got the Turkey visa at 4 am in the morning when the train stopped at the border. I paid 45 Euros!!!; the most expensive Turkey visa is for Canadians, don't know why...for Americans is only 20 Euros and for Europeans is even cheaper only 12 Euros! So what is up with 45 Euros visa for us???

Istanbul was never on my "must see city", but by the time I took the tram and walked to the hostel I was so amazed by this city, I realized that it should have been on the list, Istanbul is definitely a must see city!
Photobucket
I checked in the Bahouse hostel by 2pm. Hostel is located in Hostel in Sultanahmet, in the European part of town. It is a very cool place if I ever come back to Istanbul I will stay in same area.
Hostel has a roof terrace overlooking Mediterranean Sea. I went up and had my first Turkish beer and kebab – yummy.

In the afternoon went browsing in the neighborhood; there are tons of coffee shops, restaurants, stores. I am very close to the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofya; between the two there is nice park with colorful flowers and water fountain.

It is wonderful to meander on the streets, see, smell and feel the vibe of the city.
Photobucket

My decision to come to Istanbul was good; welcome to the “city of world’s desire”.

No comments: