Thursday, March 20, 2008

New Beginning in Montpellier

We now have a place! Almost like a 2 bed room apartment in a Student residence building; we share the kitchen and the bathroom. The rooms are very austerely furnished, one desk, one chair, one bed. It would have be nice to have something more like an apartment, with the couch, coffee table and others, but still this is OK. We will try to make it cozy, we will buy a few things. We would really like to have a TV, we have the option to rent, but we just may buy one as we need the English subtitle (all channels at TV are in French!)
Room in the student residence

Pretty much everything else we need for our stay is provided by the residence --Internet! (very important) ----bed sheets, towels, kitchen stuff. We had to pay a deposit of 100 Euros and we will get the money back when we leave.

It was a bit difficult to find a furnished apartment; there are apartments, but first of all we could not find any thing suitable on the Internet, also we did not really want to book “on line” because we want to see the city to decide where we want to live. Now we know that there are apartments to rent and maybe the best place to find them is to go Student residences or the university. However it is hard to know what to do and best decision to take when you are in a new country and city. Also many other things have to be taken in consideration, most places rent for at least 6 months, others ask for money in advance, less flexibility, no Internet and so on. We have the place we are staying now for a week, and the new place is vacant and we can move there on Sat. Most places rent starting at the beginning of the month, if we did not take this place we would have to find an other place for 10 days and find an another place for 2 months.

Why do I babble so much about this? because I am a person that has a hard time to make a decision, I am worried that I may miss a better opportunity out there, I still have to learn that sometimes you make a decision may be not the best one, but you have to let it be…..Anyway Mark is happy and confident, I think everything will be ok and I will like the place. We learned better skills in these 2 days than 2 years, from how to get around to find an apartment, how to deal with people, make decision, handle stress, agree to disagree, disagree again and at the end of the day still be friends and share laughs and a 1 Euro bottle of wine.

I didn’t know that one can reside in a student residence if not a student; also I didn’t give any thought about living in a place where students live; now when I think about it, I guess it is going to be an interesting experience. For now all I can say is that I would have really liked to be a student myself and go to university in the day, bars at night, be foolish and silly and think that I am so damn smart and invincible and when I will be older I will indeed by someone Big!

The afternoon had been calm; I choose to go home and rest, I needed a down time to let go of my stress. Mark went out to enjoy sunshine and read. We both needed time alone, we been together since we got here.

So far, we had not time to really explore the city and enjoy. Tomorrow is our first day of exploration, I can’t wait to find places where I can run and bike; also looking forward to find out how can we get to the beach……..

No comments: