Sunday, June 29, 2008

Essaouira, end of the festival

Today was the last day of the Gnaoua festival.

In the morning I went for my walk along the ocean. I like to get up in the morning and go for a walk; I enjoyed the first hours, when the stores are not yet open, streets almost deserted and few people around. It is not too hot, there is a cool brezze from the ocean. In other words a good time to be out on the beach.

But for the last 3 days because of the festival in the morning there are tons of people around; lots of young guys sleep on the becah and they are just waking up; also there is a area where the city has set up huge tents for people to sleep. People are coming out of the tent, stretching, going out for a walk as well.

I guess for people for here is an event to come out to this festival; also maybe some of them have never seen the ocean, sometimes I can tell by the excitement on the faces when they rush for a dip in the ocean.
Photobucket
This Sunday morning is really busy, I didn’t enjoy my walk too much, lots of young guys sitting around and saying stuff when I walked by. I know they don’t mean harm, they are just young guys trying to play cool when a foreign woman walks by, but still tends to get annoying….

At noon I went back to Alliance Francaise Marocaine to watch “Return to Goore”. It was an interesting movie as well, a musical documentary in regards to slavery and how some famous black people living in United States tried to trace their ancestry through music.

In the evening we went to watch the closing concerts. First band was a Moroccan band, we got there almost at the end of their show.
Photobucket
Second band was the National Orchestra des Barbes; we didn’t know what to expect, but we decided to stay and watch just to see what is all about, and to our surprise we really liked this band and the music. We were there for couple of hours dancing or tapping away; it was hard to stay still with all people around dancing and having fun.
Photobucket
Altogether I enjoyed the festival. We watched concerts every night for a couple of hours. However I had a hard time to manage and be in the crowd. Apparently 200,000 people were in Essaouira for the festival. This city is very small, indeed we were absolutely overwhelmed by the number of people!

We were happy that the festival was over and looking forward for city to go back to “normal life” for our last week.

No comments: