Friday, April 4, 2008

Montpellier - Book In Bar

In our desire to get to know the city, meet people and participate to activities since we have been in Montpellier we have been reading many newspapers, magazines, articles and any piece of information we came across.
From “Blalabla” free magazine (this is the real name) and also from the Biblioteque American we found out that every Friday at 5pm (except last Friday of the month) there is a English French language exchange at Book in Bar.

Again I was kind of skeptical that there are going to be too many people at this place, so I told Mark that I would like to get there exactly at 5pm. To my surprise when we got there exactly at 5pm there were lots of people and most chairs were taken; luckily we found 2 chairs upstairs and we were able to join the group.

Book in Bar is a lovely old bookstore on two levels; it is small and packed with books from floors to the ceiling and all around. I like it the moment I stepped in. Mark and I agreed to make it our “hang out coffee shop”.

Conversation was half English and half French; French people try to speak English and other nationalities try to speak French. My French is bad, but somehow people understand me. I am starting to make an effort to improve.

Again we were lucky to meet very interesting people. I was talking to Parisian Patricia who moved to Montpellier few years ago; also with a British teacher who is trying to find a job as a teacher in Montpellier and 2 Montpellierien guys.

Patricia travelled extensively and seems very well educated. During our conversation she mentioned a club “On Va Sortir” very similar to Meet Up group.

We were at Book in Bar for 2 hours, very pleasant hours, we enjoyed a lot; Mark and I will be regulars at Book in Bar for the time we will be here.

No comments: